Located on the westside entrance of Tobermory
Harbor stands Big Tub Lighthouse. Still in operation, the present structure
was built in 1885, replacing a lamp, which once hung on a tree in this
location. The six-sided hexagonal wooden tower is painted white and
features several rectangular windows, trimmed in bright red. At the
top of the 43 foot tower is a red walkway enclosing the lantern room
from which shines a red modern-day beacon. The lighthouse is open to
the public each year during Marine Heritage Weekend, held the second
week of August.
At the terminus of Hwy 6 in Tobermory, turn left and follow the road
around to the point and Big Tub Lighthouse.