the far southwestern hip of Ontario's Bruce Peninsula is the beautiful
and remote Chantry Island. Here stands one of six stone lighthouses known
as the Imperial Towers, built by John Brown. Erected in 1859, the light
was originally fueled by whale oil, and later kerosene and electricity.
Maintained by the Canadian Coast Guard, the light was fully automated
in 1959 and today is solar powered.
The majestic eighty-six foot tower continues to warn ships away from the island's rocky coastline. Beside it is the keeper's dwelling, which was restored from roofless ruins and reopened in 2001 for limited tours.
Chantry Island is an important nesting place of many species of birds. Visits to the island are very restricted because it is a bird sanctuary, and must be authorized by the Marine Heritage Society by contacting them at 519-797-5862 or 1-866-797-5862.