the east and the south of Ontario's Bruce Peninsula and surrounding islands
stand a series of sentinels collectively known as the Imperial Towers.
During the nineteenth century, the Canadian government hired Ontario contractor
John Brown to build these lights to warn sailors away from ship-killing
shoals and dangerous points along this stretch. Perhaps the most spectacular
of the Imperial Towers, and the only one located on the mainland, is Point
Clark Lighthouse. Completed in 1859, the whitewashed limestone tower soars
eighty-seven feet above the aquamarine waters of Lake Huron on the stubby
thumb of Point Clark. The Point Clark Lighthouse was declared a National
Historic Site in 1967 and today an excellent maritime museum is located
in the keeper's dwelling.